Rose and Thorn Armory Leather Photohoot
Geek Girl Zelda
set up a shoot with the amazing Rose and Thorn Armory
. Be sure to check out their Kickstarter
and get your chance at some of their amazing leather! Here is a bit about their leather products from each of the models followed by their beautiful photos...
- "I was very excited to get the opportunity to work with Rose and Thorn Armory to showcase their leather. I'm a historical re-enactor with the SCA, have been doing Ren Faire and cosplay for 12 years, and have spent a lot of time around the BDSM and fetish scene - so I've seen my fair share of leather. This stuff is beautifully made, very sturdy, great for LARPing, re-enactment, faires, cosplay, anything. They were extremely professional to work with, worked very quickly (a rarity in the armorsmithing field), and did everything to exact specifications. You feel both beautiful and bass while wearing their outfits - killer combination. Katrina at the shop even made me a custom Harley Quinn top - to die for! What girl wouldn't want that? My favorite part of the top - adorable little diamond shaped studs.
I was able to bring along some great models I know through working with the photography group Alt+3rR0r for many years. JaW Images (images included in this post) originally created it and runs most of the meetups, with me as the co-organizer/co-host. We're an alternative photography group in LA and collaborating together is always a blast. I did all the styling - I brought along everything from SCA garb and fighting gear, pieces of my Red Sonja cosplay, and costumes out of my closet. It was really fun to style the leather in so many different ways - just wanted to showcase how versatile the stuff is! I could have probably made 10 more looks out of it - had to actually stop myself from bringing more.
The location we shot at is called The Lummis House in Pasadena. It was originally created by the artist Charles Lummis in the mid 1800's. It's 100% hand crafted by him, no two doorways or windows are the same. It was the mecca of art and artists within Los Angeles for nearly 100 years - up until the 1950's when it became the property of Los Angeles. The inside is a museum featuring old drawings, photographs and artifacts from that era and the artisans who used to visit. The Southern California Historical Society runs it now and is helping to keep the history and the spirit of the place alive by hosting artists and events there - We were very welcomed and they were excited to have us there, and it made such a perfect backdrop for our photos! We had an amazing turnout of about 10 photographers - they couldn't wait to shoot all the amazing leather and at such a cool location.
- "I love working with Alt+3rR0rs. They bring together ideas, costumes, locations, models, and photographers to not only take beautiful photos, but to create and tell stories. This isn't like other modeling groups where the models just stand around looking pretty. The vision for the photoshoot comes first and everyone involved uses their talents to evoke that vision.
I was incredibly excited for this particular shoot. I love creating characters, and inside these beautiful leather outfits were a thousand stories waiting to be told: a young girl defending her home, a knight protecting her King, a daughter avenging her father, a woman yearning for her lover's return.
There is something magical that occurs when one slips on a costume and assumes a new identity. It was my pleasure to share the magic of Rose and Thorn Armory in these photos."
- "The outfits were super well made, comfortable and absolutely gorgeous! Perfect for ren faire or any sort of warrior themed event. It's nice because it's hard to find warrior leather for ladies that's this well made and in such lovely styles too! Loved the location of the shoot as well. The staff was extremely friendly and the setting was gorgeous. I've always enjoyed shooting with Alt+3rR0r... most of the ideas are interesting, friendly members and just all around fun. Great way to meet and learn from other creative people. Looking forward to shooting with you guys more in the future! :D Glad to see how far the group has come."
- "I was really impressed with the quality of the leather pieces, thick heavy leather but not so much that the pieces were uncomfortable, not to mention beautiful. It's always a blast to work with Alt+3rR0r, the group is always bringing in new models and photographers so there is always new talent to work with as well as "core" members that are always great to work with. Lummis house was a beautiful location and everyone that worked there was really friendly and accommodating, it was a real pleasure to shoot there. I look forward to more shoots with Alt+3rR0r and at the Lummis house!"
And here is the behind the scenes video:
Leather: Rose and Thorn Armory
- Be sure to check out their Kickstarter
and get your chance at some of their amazing leather!
Models: Geek Girl Mistress Zelda
, Amanda Dyba, Britney Siren
& Vanessa Anderson
Makeup artist: Sonya R
Photographers: JaW Images Photography
, Alan Tang, Neal Nguyen, FLB Photography, Tony Castillo, Jim Lee Photography & Abel Serrano
Follow us on:
June 24 2014